Wednesday 30 November 2011

hay box

I came across this a while ago and saw a couple of other videos about using a haybox to cook with. I'm impressed with it. I really like how things can be cooked with just a fist burst of heat. Ideally I'd like to make neat wooden box of the proportions of a microwave, front loading probably so the space on the top can be put to use or have it built into the end of our kitchen table. Haven't gotten around to it yet though. Here is the inspiration.



I mentioned it to Ranger Alan and he said he has used this for cooking whilst camping but I think it could be of use in the home.


At the weekend I gave it a mini-go, for Ranger Time.





I used what I had in the ranger office, bucket, change-for-life promotional fleecy blankets, thingy that is usually in the microwave. The tallow, in a plastic jug, was heated up to all melted in the microwave. This was then put into the nest made of blankets inside the bucket, lid on, covered up. Then this sat in the unheated stone church stairwell for bout 40 minutes until we were ready to make seed cakes. Then out it came, into the park and unveiled to the *excited* folks. Nobody really seemed too bothered at the contraption despite my enthusing. So we poured and stirred and covered it up again, poured etc. The jug was left out once all the mixing was done and it set quite quicky.


So very good I thought. I was worried that this would be an activity that we wouldn't be able to do without direct access to the kitchen. Great. Shame I forgot to take nice photos of it outside.





More haybox.



No comments:

Post a Comment