Sunday 27 December 2009

socks first

I found something that is like magic.

I've been thinking that I would like to actually get good at knitting. I can do it however I have never really put my mind to it with the aim of actually making something. I would be happy if I could learn to knit socks so I could keep my family in good socks. I don't think I want to worry about knitting jumpers (although these are really nice, from www.blackerdesigns.co.uk).


They have lovely natural wool here. Just like the actual sheep, great.

So I went about looking for a kit for beginners to make socks. I have a nice pattern book from Buddug but I really don't know where to start with the patterns. I need more help! I found some good tutorials, which have really helped it all make sense.

at downsizer, although the socks they show are quite nasty.

at silver's sock class, this is FAB.

We probably only want the silvers one but there are some other interesting bits at downsizer. I'm of the the opinion that style shouldn't go out the window just because you are behaving sustainably. Frontier not hippies.

Anyway, socks.

In looking for kits to help me I came across oplal sock wool. I thought wool was wool that came in whatever colour you wanted. No.

Sock wool comes in magic.

There is a whole science (as far as I can say) in making wool that as you knit turns into a pattern.

WOW

So you knit around and around and you get a fairisle! or a tiger! or loads of stuff! It's so clever, to make a long strand of wool that has the correct layout of colours to make a pattern when it's a sock. I really wish I had invented this.

So here are some of my favourites....

...rainforest animals!






...like the paintings of hundertwasser!













...or harry potter!??



Amazing. I'm going to knit some socks. I haven't decided which yet.

I wanted to see some of this in real life so I looked in john lewis but no, no opal. It was pretty rubbish in there actually. Disappointed with you, john lewis. I also, whilst waiting for ralphus, listened to the sewing machine lady trying to sell a £299 sewing machine to a nice middle class mum and dad and 23 year old daughter who wanted "her first sewing machine". I did think the whole situation was a bit sad. They were however quite sensible to the sales lady's pitch, and went away "to think about it". For a start, if that girl, at her age, wants one she should look it up for herself. Secondly £300 for your first machine that you don't even know what you are going to use it for, NO! I got mine when I was 18 and it was, I think, the second cheapest toyota one they sold in argos, and it's fine. Gets stuck in thick stuff but hey. I even just thought 'hmm, maybe I should upgrade and invest in that one the lady says is good' after standing listening to all this nonsense.

I hope they didn't buy it for her. I felt I should have intervened but I didn't.

So I'll buy my sock stuff on the interweb, after hours of debating which to get, and learn to knit the simplest socks known to man. I will never be one of those lovely knitting ladies.


But maybe one day I'll get socks like these...

No comments:

Post a Comment