Thursday 29 April 2010

better living

I have been thinking about what the best house would be like, the best place to live. I have this idea of a smallholding in the woods.

I found a couple of examples of people who live in interesting set ups.


This is tony wrench and jane faith's roundhouse in wales. From reading about it on the website it seems they have had lots of trouble from the council which is silly. What a lovely house, they grow crops and make wooden plates and bowls. You know I love wooden bowls. This is what living should be.



They use the term earthright to describe the way they live, this is such a good term. I'm going to try to use it in conversation. Here is the lovely lady in their lovely house.


This is the house that simon dale has built for his family, again they built it from logs and mud. From the outside it looks like a hobbit house. I'm not that keen on the look of the house but I do like the way it was built.



It seems that one of the ways that people set up this kind of living is to start a community. This is what I do not like at all. This is what, like feminism, turns a sensible idea into utter rot. Here is a photo of the steward community woodland.


I haven't visited this place so I only have my opinion of the information on their website to peg my dislike on. But I'm sorry, to me this all seems like nonsence. This is what they say... "...a permaculture project which aims to demonstrate the value of integrating conservation woodland management techniques with organic growing, traditional skills and crafts and low-impact sustainable living."

What like some kind of living museum? I can't help but think this 'proving to the world' coupled with the safety of a democratic-compromising communtiy makes a joke of a valid way of life. It is just the same as an art exhibition "group show" put together by a gang of friends that can't really be bothered to take their art practice seriously enough to try hard enough to actually make good work and maybe have shows. Bloody hell. The point of living in the woods in a house you built yourself is not to end up cooking in a shared kitchen and showing everyone how earnestly you can stir a giant pot of root stew or have a patch of raised beds and a chive heart.



"Unfortunately black plastic has been the only totally successful mulch we've tried so far." My god, do some more pulling up of roots, you are supposed to be doing this sustainably.

Surely the point of moving to the woods is not to live in a shanty town with a tarp for walls. Is it not to live a life striving to live a good life full of beauty at every turn, not putting yourself  on anyone or anything, to take responsibility and to try your hardest to make it so? Not to be anywhere where your community buddy leaves out the shitty washing up bowl.

On my hunt around for some housing inspiration (I'm tentatively starting to think about the master plan) I came across radicalroutes. They say this...

 Our world is shaped by the forces of greed, capitalism and materialism, where maximum production and optimum profits are vigorously pursued, making life a misery for many and putting us and the environment at risk.

The system is ultimately controlled by the rich and powerful, the capitalists and bureaucrats, through the use of many mechanisms such as ownership of the economy (making people slaves to a job) and control of the media (creating a passive culture).


Urrgh. Honestly I do understand the point. However. IT IS THIS LAME CRAP THAT JUSTIFIES PEOPLE STAYING SHIT. Oh it's so hard, all the rich, keeping me down. Who is it that makes you have a 'slave job'? Do you honestly believe that? Take some responsibility you looser.


So, my ideal living is a little compound of buildings built from logs and mud and old bricks and super high tech insulating membrane or something, if it's appropriate/necessary/good. Some woods with all the great plants, chickens and pigs rooting about. Maybe a lovely little pond with dragonflies and toads living nearby. A cow and goat. A solar panel and wind turbine. Ocado deliveries every two months. And a bit of a job sharing my skills with whoever needs them if I have to. Children in stripy jumpsuits. Lots of wooden bowls.

Or maybe kinda what we have now, that's kinda ideal for now.



No comments:

Post a Comment