Wednesday 7 April 2010

my morals make me look like a mad old biddy

I have been getting my formulating gear ready and building up to making some face stuff. I've been building up for ages now so it is time to get on with it.

I have had lavender hydrosol for a while now and have been using it plain as a toner but wanted to make something a little more sophisticated, so have been looking for recipies. It seems toners are either really simple or with lots of soluble botanical additives. I dont have these so simple it needed to be. I'd ummed and ahhed in wilkos over the witch hazel but in the end I put it back. And then I did some more reading and decided that I should actually add it.

I went off to wilko to get the witch hazel, but they had none. So I went to boots and bought theirs. Then I went to superdrug and they had some too that was much cheaper, so I got that too.

I thought that I'd go back to boots and see if I could return it as it was so much more money. So I asked and they said that maybe they could and they'd check and ask the supervisor who said that it was ok. I asked if it gets noted that I returned it as it was so much more expensive than elsewhere. She said, "well I don't think so, it prints out a little form that tells me how it has to be destroyed...".

So I asked if it was just going to be thrown away and she said yes. This surprised me.

I don't like the idea of just because I have decided to return something, as I had seen it cheaper elsewhere, it is going to get thrown away and be a total waste. I expected that they wouldn't aggree to do a return if it would have to be destroyed. I don't like the idea that they want my custom more than they dont want to waste products.

So I said that I would keep the product, thank you for offering the refund but I'd rather not waste the witch hazel. This caused confusion. I went red as I tried to explain that wasting this was bad. I asked if I could talk to the supervisor to explain how they should let customers know that this would be the consequence so we could decide if we wanted to be responsible for the waste of a product and she said that the wastage policy was not really to do with customers and how they didn't price match with superdrug.

She didn't understand my point.


I felt that I had totally failed in explaining why it was not a good thing for me to get my money back when a product that was not faulty would be wasted. It is this idea of waste that really upset me and I felt defeated that my issue with this was such an alien concept to the folk in boots. I just looked like a loony loser, somehow so embarrassed that I couldn't accept this gesture of good will from a generous store manager.

Being wasteful is the embarrassment, and boots should be embarrassed.

Anyway, I made my toner. Lavender hydrosol, witch hazel, glycerine.

No comments:

Post a Comment