Saturday 20 February 2010

arrgh eco procrastinating

It has been such a long time as all I have been doing is trying to find a nice earth friendly stretch jersey.

Nonsence.

The thing is, a while ago I found a dress I really wanted but was a million pounds so I thought I'd make one. This is the lemuria cow dress (jumpsuit) and egg dress. You can wear them all kinds of ways with the sleeves as ties etc.


I found a forum with a pattern drawing of the egg dress...

I found one of the shorter dresses out of stock at yoox but you can zoom the photo and see some of the seams, so maybe this will be helpful.


Then I looked on the new toast website which I don't think looks so good, and you can't see the things so well, and you have to scroll sideways and can't view all. It's like you need a giant cinema display to see the website properly, maybe the web designers only showed it to the toast folk on ridiculous mac monitors. And then, after all the faff there is nothing nice at all. I thought these would be good until I see its a print and I don't think it really has much to do with ikat at all.


I had been looking at ikat weaving in a book as its kind of magic and I saw a people tree top (in an older post) so I got excited and then these trousers are a bit of a disappointment. From the couple of things I did look at I don't like the styling either, the outfits look a bit boden and the model's make up is not nice.

Here is real ikat from the book "classic crafts, a practical compendium of traditional skills"...


The pattern is made by tie-dyeing sections of the warp (up and down threads) so that the pattern is formed vertically. I like the bundles of threads all tied up.

So I decided if there was nothing nice at toast wouldn't buy any clothes ever again. I will make things.

First, I will ease in gently, a tube dress in the style of american apparel. I have one in aubergine, although I mostly wear it a a skirt, ruched up or folded, and a bit shorter than it's shown in the photos.


I also like this etsy seller, ha ha it says "for the global nomad". I think it means hippy. But the things are mostly nice. I like these the best.


Look at the lovely lady (who I think is the person who makes the clothes). She uses organic fabric and dyes them using earth friendly an natural plant dyes.

So I set off to look for fabric. I want to get organic cotton or hemp jersey that is stretch so will have elastane (lycra, spandex etc.).


Two weeks later and it appaears that it is impossible to buy such fabric in the UK.


I have gone a bit funny from the web trawling. I'm not sure what to do about this. I know it exists as I have seen it in american shops but nowhere here has the elastane blend. I've had a bit of a strange revelation type thing about the idea of buying organic cotton and how non organic cotton must be evil. I don't specifically buy organic vegetables as I'm not a total nut, I'd like them to be free from nasties but I don't think they are going to kill me. Having said that we do now get an organic vegbox (maybe more about that later on). But making textiles is full of nasty chemicals and bleaching and water wasting and pretend plastic fibre evil-alchemy. Like margarine. So organic seems to make sense. Which means I have to carry on hunting or I cant make any dresses.

I've joined a forum to help. What a geek. Please someone help me?

No comments:

Post a Comment