Thursday 25 February 2010

hot scrubbing

Ok, second forum confession.

I joined the dish (in italics to add a bit of showbiz pizazz, like an american tv show, as I want it to sound dramatic and a bit LA).

This is a forum for soap makers and makers of related products, lotions, candles etc. etc. I have been making scrubs because they are so very expensive in the shops and not actually very scrubby and they are basically oil and salt. It is very easy.

This was a previous concoction that I put bicarb in because I think I read it somewhere that it'd be good. All exploding all over the kitchen good.


So far with my scrub making, the nearest one to being anything that could be called "perfected" is one made from salt and sugar, ground coffee and cinnamon and chilli. All nice for increasing the circulation to ones bottom and thighs. I made a more everyday one with oats in but that one was pretty rubbish.

The new experiment, fuelled by recipes for "whipped shea sugar scrub", "bohunk's #14", "light and fluffy mouse scrub" and such, I bodged a concoction.

Scrubs can be made with some nice oil, I use SAO (as they say on the dish, sweet almond oil to everyone else) as its similar to the oil in your skins so it sinks in and doesn't feel too greasy, and some scrubby bits, I use a mixture of coarse sea salt ground up a bit so it's not too scratchy, table salt, granulated brown sugar and coffee. This makes a slushy sandy mix where the bits will sink down and you need to scoop it all up from underneath (or use less oil).

In the new scrub I wanted something with a body. So I put in some beeswax. I chickened out of adding in some water (to make a kind of lotiony-scrub). Well I couldn't really find a formula for this and was making it all up so thought I'd best not risk it. So just the beeswax to firm up the oil. Heat it all up, beat it all together. The heat it all up again as it was too waxy and add some more oil. Total bodge.

Anyway it turned out nicely in the end. I messed up the essential oils and made it all sicky geranium. Fixed it with lemon. Also I think I overdid the chilli, or rather the oil didn't really need to infuse the chilli. Ok on the legs, not so good on more delicate areas that don't get scrubbed but do get the bath water on.

Thumbs up for peppercorn chilli rose salt scrub.


I think this is also a kettle chip flavour.

No comments:

Post a Comment